Precious Hearts Romances (PHR) launches its first Precious Pelikula Filmmaking Contest that aims to breathe life to well-loved pocketbook stories through the eyes of six talented filmmakers.
In April 2016, Precious Pages Corp., the publisher of Precious Hearts Romances, called on amateur filmmakers nationwide to participate in this momentous project. A total of 40 applicants, from students to film enthusiats, sent in their portfolio in the hopes of being able to enter the competition.
Ten applicants were shortlisted. They chose from a selection of PHR titles on which they formulated a film concept as out-of-the-box as they could while still maintaining the romantic personality that Precious Hearts Romances has embodied. From their pitches, five applicants and a ‘wild card’ were granted a much-coveted spot. They are:
- Marco Mata of Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila – Fallin’ For You by Heidi Collete;
- Ian Abaya of Asia Pacific Film Institute – Her Own Brand of Hero by Sofia;
- Paolo Pascual of Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila – Angel Bautista’s Dreams Cafe 4: Dream Master;
- Miguel Postestades of Collosus Films – Mga Apo Ni Rustica: The Girl in His Arms by Rose Tan;
- Richmond Cadsawan of Far Eastern University – Me, Myself and Peregrine by Jamie Black; and
- Carl Ruiz of De La Salle College of St. Benilde – Kensi’s Unconventional Love.
Each were given a grant to produce their respective films. A special screening is done on September 3, 2016, 2pm, at SM Manila Cinema 4 where their films are screened as the viewers take part in a live voting for their film of choice.
The top three films will be awarded at the Manila International Book Fair on September 18, 2016. Winners will also receive the following cash prizes:
- 1st place – P100,000.00
- 2nd place – P 50,000.00
- 3rd place – P 25,000.00
- People’s Choice – P 10,000.00
Love transcends any medium, whether paper or reel. These six filmmakers are determined to tug at your heartstrings with adaptations of the stories that made readers cry, laugh and fall in love. Get ready for this roller coaster ride of emotions.
For more information, check out the Precious Pelikula Facebook Page.